Have you ever seen anyone who had undergone liposuction before and wondered, “Could that be me?” Well, the good news is it can be.
If losing weight with diet and exercise isn’t doing the trick, liposuction surgery in New Jersey could be an option for you.
Whether you want to trim excess fat off your waistline or remove a few rolls on your thighs, liposuction can sculpt your body into what you’ve always wanted it to be.
Let us find out a bit more about this popular procedure.
What Is Liposuction?
Think of it as the sculptor’s chisel. It removes excess fat, exposing your existing muscle. This popular surgical procedure is used on the body parts where excess fat collects, including the thighs, abdomen, arms, breasts, buttocks, back, and neck.
It goes by many names, such as body contouring, cavitation, suction lipectomy, and lipoplasty. However, the most popular term today is liposuction or ‘lipo.’
Also Read: 10 Simple Summer Smoothie Recipes That Are Filling And Quick
How Does a Liposuction Procedure Work?
Liposuction can be performed on almost any area of the body. Depending on the amount of fat to be removed, it may be a one-time procedure or require more than one operation.
The procedure is typically performed under general anesthesia. It involves making small incisions in the target area to insert a cannula. The cannula breaks up the fat cells and suctions them out through a tube inserted into the incision. The fat is then suctioned into a container and removed from the body. The procedure can take between one and three hours.
It is important to note that there are different types of liposuction procedures. We have outlined some of the common ones below. You can consult with your cosmetic surgeon and decide which procedure might be right for you.
Types of Liposuction
- Traditional liposuction- this is a straightforward technique performed under a local or general anesthetic. It involves a small incision and a cannula inserted into the area being treated, where the fat is then broken up and removed through the cannula.
- Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL)- this procedure uses laser technology to liquefy fat to be more easily removed from the body.
- Water-assisted liposuction (WAL)- this is a minimally invasive procedure that uses pulses of saline fluid to safely and efficiently remove fat from the face and body.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction – the procedure targets the fat cells with low energy micro-pulses. This liquefies the fat inside the targeted area, allowing it to be removed through a cannula with ease.
After your surgery, your surgeon will give you specific instructions for your recovery. In general, you should expect to wear a compression garment after the procedure to minimize swelling.
It may take a few months to recover and see your final results (this depends on the type of liposuction). However, for fast recovery, make sure to follow the instructions given by your surgeon to the letter. This includes avoiding strenuous activities, keeping healthy, and maintaining hygiene. And if you experience significant swelling around your incision site, inform your surgeon immediately.
How to Know if You Are the Right Candidate for Liposuction
In general, the best candidates for have the following attributes:
- Are healthy individuals
- Have elastic and firm skin
- Have good muscle tone
- Are within 30 percent of their desired body weight
- Have realistic expectations about the outcome of the treatment
Liposuction surgery is an elective procedure tailored to each unique person. Therefore, consult with a surgeon to get the ideal procedure for your unique situation.